In Vienna, they were once called “Krippenmarkt”, “Budenmarkt” or “Thomasmarkt” on the Graben around 1600. There were mainly sweet baked goods for sale, but of course there was still no talk of terms like “Christmas market” or even “Christkindlmarkt”. It was probably not until the middle of the 18th century that a “St. Nicholas, Christmas and Nativity Market” was set up on the Freyung for the first time – but this one had over 100 stalls.
In spring 500 years ago – in 1521 – the Imperial Diet of Worms took place: Emperor Charles V had convened it, a gigantic “event” one would say today, during which the city was actually in high spirits. Both the approximately 10,000 guests and the locals partied day and night during the event, ignoring the fasting period and most of the otherwise well-liked “good customs”.
On June 1st, the new exhibition at Schallaburg Castle in Lower Austria opened its doors: “DANUBE – People, Treasures & Cultures” is its theme and its itinerary is a little unusual for us visitors.
The grapes love the gentle influence of the Danube. That is why the Danube regions from Regensburg to Budapest are also rich in wine-growing areas. Even the Romans knew how to appreciate wine. Vinum laetificat cor hominis! – Wine gladdens a humans heart!
With his famous composition „On the beautiful, blue Danube“ Johann Strauss has left a piece of music with the highest popularity, giving the Danube an important focus as a lifeline of Central Europe. Every year on New Year’s Eve, the famous “Danube Waltz” has been ringing for over 150 years, making us dance into a happy new year.
This year’s Upper Austrian State Exhibition is all about the Romans. From 27 April to 4 November 2018, the state exhibition is offering a multi-layered insight into the life of the Romans 1,800 years ago, taking visitors on a quest back to the time of the “Imperium Romanum”.
Nestled in the Danube-Auen National Park east of Vienna lies Eckartsau, the imperial hunting lodge whose history is linked to the House of Habsburg. Inspired by the rich game stocks in the hunting grounds around Eckartsau, Francis Stephan of Lorraine, husband of Maria Theresa, acquired the entire area in the 18th century.