The large industrial town of today was born in 1947 with the unification of four small settlements. The area had been inhabited ever since prehistoric times. It suffered many a natural disaster, and in the 16th century it was occupied by the Turks. The depopulated area was later acquired by the Esterházy family, who settled Germans and Slovaks in their estate.
In 1867 they discovered coal around Alsógalla, where a mining settlement was soon established. Owing to the prospects for employment granted by mining, more and more families wished to settle in the area, as a result of which many new residential districts sprang up. The mining traditions of over a hundred years are preserved in the Museum of Tatabánya and its open-air exhibition ground called Bányászati és Ipari Skanzen, as well as the former Bányatiszti Kaszinó (Tulipános Ház) [Mining Officers’ Casino (Tulip House)]. Tatabánya’s most famous sight is a statue on a hill towering above the town. It shows the legendary eagle (or hawk), from whom the ancient Magyars traced their origins. If you want to wander around in the surrounding forest park, it is worthwhile to start in the Gerecse Kapuja Látogatóközpont (Gate of Gerecse Visitor Centre, ).
H-2800 Tatabánya, Szent Borbála tér 1.
Tel: +36 34 688 188