Straubing – late-Gothic Basilica of St. Jacob, Baroque convent church of the Ursuline nuns, Gäuboden Museum with world-famous Roman treasures, Herzogsschloss mediaeval ducal castle
The Celts settled here, the Romans maintained a fort here to secure the Danube border and the House of Wittelsbach re-established the city in 1218. The Bavarian duke took up position here between the mighty cities of Regensburg and Passau. Between 1353 and 1425, Straubing was part of the duchy of Lower Bavaria-Straubing-Holland. Straubing’s city square is dominated by the 66-m high Stadtturm, or City Tower, dating to the 14th century, while the impressive City Hall opposite represents the presence of civil society. Its roof structure was severely damaged in a fire in December 2016. The Herzogsschloss, a mediaeval ducal castle, demonstrates the power of the duchy. The Agnes-Bernauer festival is held here every four years against a historic backdrop. Two hundred residents of Straubing act out the tragic story of Agnes Bernauer, a barber’s daughter from Augsburg, who fell in love with the son of the Duke of Bavaria in 1432 and paid for a marriage that wasn’t befitting of her social standing with her life. The Gäuboden Museum is worth a visit particularly for its treasure of Roman artefacts from the 3rd century, which was discovered in 1950. In August, the people of Straubing also celebrate the traditional Gäubodenfest, the second largest folk festival in Bavaria.
Stadt Straubing – Tourismus und Stadtmarketing
Phone: +49 9421 94460199