Schönbrunn Palace

Schönbrunn Palace

A visit to Schönbrunn Palace, Empress Sisi’s former summer residence, is a must. The Baroque edifice attracts visitors with its enchanting park, the Palm House Garden restaurant, Gloriette arch and the oldest continually operating zoo in the world. As the former summer residence of the imperial family, Schönbrunn Palace is one of the most beautiful Baroque complexes in Europe. Owned by the Habsburgs since 1569, the wife of Emperor Ferdinand II had a pleasure castle built on the premises in 1642 and named the estate ‘Schönbrunn’ initially. The palace and garden complex erected starting in 1696 after the Turkish siege was fundamentally redesigned under Maria Theresa from 1743 onwards. For most of the year, the Habsburgs resided in the countless apartments which a large imperial family required in addition to their staterooms. Schönbrunn Palace has 1,441 rooms, 45 of which can be viewed. The interior décor is in the rococo style (typically white surfaces with ornamentation made of 14-karat gold leaf) and includes Bohemian crystal chandeliers and tiled stoves.

Schönbrunn (c) WienTourismusPeter Rigaud
Contact

Schloß Schönbrunn
1130 Wien
Phone: +43 1 81113-0
info@schoenbrunn.at