Over the centuries, water and stone laid the foundations for the prosperity of this market town, which was first mentioned as ‘Muthusen’ in an official document in 1208. Situated at the crossroads of two ancient trade routes, Mauthausen lies surrounded by the wonderful landscapes of the Mühlviertel region on the Danube. One of these trade routes followed the course of the Danube from west to east. The other led from north to south and was used to transport salt from the Salzkammergut region to Bohemia even in early times. The name of the old settlement of ‘Muthausen’ also took its name from the ‘Maut’ (toll) that was collected at the station here on the Danube.
Phone: +43 7238 2243