Boasting an over 200-year-old mining history, this industrial centre is one of the most densely populated settlements in the conurbation of Budapest. Dorog’s name was first mentioned in a document dated 1181. Because during the Turkish rule (16th and 17th centuries) it got completely deserted, in the 18th century it was resettled with ethnic German families. It was mining between 1781 and 2003 that made the town the industrial centre of the area. Dorog consists of two distinct parts: the northern part is a residential district (formerly a miners’ colony), whereas the southern one is the civilian district (the former village and the mining engineers’ offices). The memory of mining in the Dorog Basin is kept alive in the Reimann Bányászattörténeti Miniverzum (a museum of mining history) and the Bányász Emlékház (Miners’ Memorial House). In the town centre there is an up-to-date sports complex including the Nipl Stefánia Uszoda (swimming pool), the Buzánszky Jenő Stadium, a bowling alley, an artificial piste, and a sports hall. Further pastime opportunities include the Gáthy Zoltán Városi Könyvtár és Helytörténeti Múzeum (town library and museum of local history), the Német Nemzetiségi Emlékház (German National Minority Memorial House), Kálvária-domb (Calvary Hill), and the lido of the nearby Lake Palatinus.
H-2510 Dorog, Bécsi út 42