Trenčín Castle

Trenčín Castle

Towering on a steep cliff, Trenčín Castle is undoubtedly one of the dominant features of the town of Trenčín and the entire region of Považie. Along with Spiš Castle and Devín Castle, it is one of the largest in Europe. It served as a royal castle starting in the 11th century, and a town formed at its base. Trenčín and its castle played an important role during the Turkish invasions in particular. It passed through the hands of a number of important noble families over time. The most famous owner was Matúš Čák Trenčiansky, who possessed a number of Slovakian castles and was thus also known as the ‘Lord of Váh and Tatras’. The castle’s defence and residential functions also developed as it changed owners. Today’s premises, which are part of the exhibition of the Trenčín Museum, consist of a complex of palaces and the striking Matúš Tower. Visitors will also certainly want to see the cannon bastion and the hunger tower. Various exhibitions, concerts, mediaeval games and exciting night tours are also held on the castle grounds throughout the year.

4 A Burg Trenciansky Hrad (c) Slovakia
Contact

Tourismus-Vertretung der Slowakischen Republik
Opernring 1/R/507
1010 Wien
Österreich
Phone: +43 1 513 95 69
office.at@slovakia.travel