Spišský hrad Castle

Spišský hrad Castle

The eastern horizon of the Zips region is dominated by the large silhouette of Spišský hrad Castle, which, with an area of almost 4 hectares, is one of the largest burjina complexes in Central Europe. In 1993 Spišský hrad and the cultural monuments of the surrounding area were added to the UNESCO World Heritage List. The first written mention of the castle dates back to 1120. At first it was a border fortification on the northern border of the early feudal Hungarian state. After that, for several centuries, it became the seat of the Zipser Gespans, and thus also the center of secular power in the Zips region. The castle complex now houses collections of the Spiš Museum about the history of the castle, medieval weapons and feudal criminal justice.

Zipser Burg (c) Slovakia

Tourismus-Vertretung der Slowakischen Republik
Opernring 1/R/507
1010 Wien
Österreich
Phone: +43 1 513 95 69
office.at@slovakia.travel