Built like an eagle’s eyrie on a cliff above the Orava River in the village of Oravský Podzámok, Orava Castle is one of the biggest tourist attractions in northern Slovakia. It served as a county castle and the seat of Orava Manor, which included nearly all of the region of Orava. The castle came into the ownership of the Thurzo family in 1556, who commissioned extensive renovations. Burg Orava was completed in its present form in 1611. The castle premises today consist of the complex of the Lower, Middle and Upper castles including palaces, fortifications and towers. The Orava Museum, which includes a number of exhibits, is located in the castle.
Tourismus-Vertretung der Slowakischen Republik
Phone: +43 1 513 95 69