Nitra Castle

Nitra Castle

Built on the site of a mighty Slavic fortified settlement, the seat of the counts of Nitra and the sovereigns of Great Moravia, Nitra Castle is the central dominating feature of Nitra, the oldest city in Slovakia. Today it is the seat of the Diocese of Nitra. The castle was built in the 11th century and consists of a number of sections. A cathedral with the adjacent bishop’s residence forms the heart of the castle. The original gothic Bishop’s Palace, next to the Bishop’s Cathedral, was given its late-Baroque form in the first half of the 18th century. Visitors to the castle will also find the outer fortifications interesting. The oldest sections of these fortifications date back to the Romanesque and Gothic periods. A particularly legendary feature is Vazil Tower, where the Hungarian Prince Vazul is alleged to have been imprisoned.

Burg Nitra (c) Slovakia
Contact

Tourismus-Vertretung der Slowakischen Republik
Opernring 1/R/507
1010 Wien
Österreich
Phone: +43 1 513 95 69
office.at@slovakia.travel