Ľubovňa Castle is perched high above the town of Stará Ľubovňa in the north-eastern part of the region of Zips on a 711-metre limestone cliff. In times past this was a place for royal encounters, the Polish crown jewels were hid in the castle, and Maurice Benyovszky, a noble adventurer and the King of Madagascar, was held prisoner here. Ľubovňa Castle was built at the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries and was part of the system of border castles in the north of Greater Hungary. In addition to protecting the Polish-Hungarian border, it also secured an important trade route which led through the Poprad River valley to Poland. The historic meeting between king of Hungary Sigismund of Luxembourg and Polish king Vladislaus II took place at Ľubovňa Castle in 1412. The exhibits of the castle museum are located here today. The castle chapel was renovated and consecrated in 1991, and church services are held here today.
Tourismus-Vertretung der Slowakischen Republik
Phone: +43 1 513 95 69