Baroque Main Square

Baroque Main Square

Linz’s Main Square forms the heart of the city and is one of the largest enclosed squares in Austria with a size of 13,200 m². An impressive 20-metre-high column completed in 1723 is located in the centre of the Main Square. The column, which was made from white marble, is dedicated to the Holy Trinity and was erected as a sign of gratitude for catastrophes which the city survived and as protection again fires, war and plague. Serving as the city’s marketplace, the Main Square quickly helped Linz achieve an economic boom and is still a venue for a wide variety of events and markets today. Located near the Danube, Linz’s Main Square is enclosed by buildings which have an important historical background and characterise the square’s appearance with their striking façades.

Hauptplatz Linz©linztourismus AlexSigalov 2014
Contact

Am Linzer Hauptplatz befindet sich auch die Tourist Information Linz
Hauptplatz 1
4020 Linz
Phone: + 43 723 7070 2009
tourist.info@linz.at